Friday, September 26, 2008

Lotsa updates!



Well, it's been a while since I updated and I've neglected this blog. But now's the time!




Updates!




In the last blog entry I mentioned I would be going to the next Ancaster Saddle Club show. I did, firt time showing there in the green division and I ended up in a nasty spill during warm-up. We approached a line badly, Sym threw in an extra stride because I didn't set him up properly. We both went over the fence off balance yet still headed towards the next fence! Well Symbah never refuses unless he knows it's not gonna end pretty. And this was one of the rare times he hit the brakes! And since I was still off-balance, I went right over his shoulder and ended up on my butt, beneath him. Symbah, great boy as usually, carefully picked his legs up to avoid stepping on me before standing at my side. I couldn't get up right away (didn't have "feeling" in my legs) but eventually did. A hospital visit later I got the thumbs up. And 3 painkiller pills PLUS a shot in the bum. I returned to the showground afterward to watch the rest of the show and check on Symbah.




I healed up and I was good to go.


On July 13th, we had another show at the Hamilton Hunt in the Novice Division. It had rained bits the night before, and poured in the morning so the grass was niiice and slick. Just as our division started though, the sun popped out and dried out some of the grass. Many horses were slipping around, and one horse wiped out entirely on its side and sent it's rider airborne. Both were okay though, and continued to show. I decided to trot through the "slick" parts of the course (thus getting marked down) to avoid slipping, falling and/or injuries. But we ended up with two fifths over fences, and a third undersaddle (bigger classes as well). So I couldn't have been more proud of him!






Of course, while practicing at home a few weeks later, we made a mistake over a fence and had a wipe-out. It was a 2'9-3' fence that Symbah had already cleared twice but chipped the last time. So I decided to try one more time and end on a good note. Sym bull-rushed it, chipped in an extra stride because (once again) I didn't set him up properly and he ended up jumping flat as well. His knees came up beneath the pole and he ended up sommersaulting through the air. I hit the ground and rolled, right into his path! His shoulder came down on me hard and I was out. Came to and my boy was just standing by my side. So up I got, and knew I had a real bad concussion as I couldn't hear, see or really function at all. I ended up passing out several times, and Symbah stood loyally at my side each time. At one point he lowered his head, I grabbed his bridle and he hauled me up to my feet as I tried to make my way back towards the barn.


Several times along the way I fell and/or passed out. Never once did Symbah try to take off or leave me there. After opening the arena gate I was down for the count, atleast three minutes. When I came too, Sym was standing over me as if protecting me. I'll never forget that sight. Eventually I got back up and rested a hand on the stirrup to support myself, said "C'mon boy, you gotta take me back to the barn" and clucked. He walked very carefully back towards the barn, stopping when I wobbled, before continuing on. Eventually I called out and got help from the barn owner and a nice boarder, who took Symbah into the barn to untack him and put him away; while the barn owner took me to the hospital.


Five hours later, I find out I have a concussion (duh!), a type II separated AC, sore ribs and I managed to "rotate" my C1 and C2 vertebrae. I wasn't aware that was possible, but it was!

So I managed to stay bedridden for 3 days before heading up to the barn and ended up going on a nice long, relaxing trail ride.


Moral of that story: Don't jump without supervision or atleast someone close. And especially not when attempting new heights! (not to be tried for a long time, let me promise)


So do to my accident (supposed to be taking it easy for a month), I missed out on the following (and last of the season) Hamilton Hunt show, and the Ancaster Saddle Club show. I did go and watch/take photos though. The last ASC show was supposed to be on September 14th, however 4 days of rain got that re-scheduled to the 28th. Which is this sunday, and I'm showing!

I'm both excited and nervous, but I believe we're ready this time. I've worked hard with him after our accident and since then he's been much more forward and energetic overfences. And really tucking his knees up! I'm really overcoming a fear with this show, as I get mild anxiety attacks with thinking hard about it.

I trust this boy 100% and he's there for me 110%, and has saved me on more than one occasion.



No comments: