Friday, September 24, 2010

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy.

Not sure if I'm just worried about the upcoming show this weekend or I just subconsciously know I really need a break as I've been avoiding serious ring work like the plague.

Instead I've been hitting the trails with some fellow boarders to just sit back and relax. We do some walk/trot/canter along different areas of the trails so it's no biggie there. I'm wondering if I'm souring myself to all these things.
I'm looking into buying a western saddle to just dink around in and not have to obsess over position.

It could very well be detrimental to our overall work but I feel like we just need that mental break. Likely tomorrow we'll hop back into our english saddle and we'll work on the necessities as well as our boldness to jumps.
Our issue is that moment of hesitation that can give Symbah that window of opportunity to refuse and I'm getting fustrated with it. I can only afford/have so much coaching for this situation. I just hate riding so aggressively with spurs and a crop - but sometimes I wonder if it's a necessary evil if used only until this issue is taken care of? Hmm, food for thought.

I'm not nervous for the 2'6-2'9 aspects of the Fair show on sunday, but the two 3'0 divisions I've entered in. We've never shown at that height but there's no oppotunities previously for us either to practise until we showed on the Trillium or A circuit which is waaay out of my budget. My theory is that those 2 classes are further in the day, Symbah will have known his courses, seen the jumps and be in the zone for the 3'0". That's my theory.

But then I have to realize we have warm up in the AM. Then our first course starts. Then the second. Then a flat. Then one 3'0 class. Then the other 3'0, then the final flat IF we make it through that course round to pin (it's equitation).
Is it too much? I don't know, after a course he feels like he could go on and on forever. I guess I'll have to feel him out and pull him from some classes if he's not up for this challenge. There's no point making him sour over some ribbons.

No comments: