Thursday, August 20, 2009

Here we go, slackin' again!

Alright, so I fail at this blog thing. I always remind myself when I'm away from the computer but can't seem to when I'm actually ON.
.. until now!

Sooo. Plenty of updates!
So the summer show season was starting when I last left off. I intended on show Hamilton Hunt and the Ancaster Saddle Club shows, however things did not turn out as planned.
At the barn under some lessons we decided to start our collection work. However, I screwed things up and wasn't able to push Sym INTO the proper collection and in turn, caused him to start sucking back at fences. This created issues. Ontop of trying to find the proper shoe for Sym (his right side hooves are a bit bigger than left, causing fitting issues) it gave him a sore right knee (no outward signs, no heat, no being 'off', nothing).
Add all that together and that gave me a very grumpy horse who started refusing fences. This is a horse who's attitude is usually "YEAH! JUMPS!". Something was wrong.

So I ended up pulling him out of shows after a diasterous second show (wanted to make sure it wasn't a fluke, apparently). He got a few weeks off as I just didn't want to deal with him. I felt he had my number and it just wasn't going well. After a few weeks I gave it a second shot. Rode him lightly w/t and took him on some trails. Slowly built him up again. Started doing some small crossrails, slowly built it up.

Eventually I decided it was worth another try at Ancaster and we went to the June show - our intentions were to just get through a course. I was very pleased with him. He was a bit rowdy in the flat classes and didn't want to be a slow hunter pony. Overfences he was great. We had a refusal each course at one particular jump (a jump that ended us at our last show - so it was understandable). But with some extra leg and an encouraging cluck, he jumped it. We received no ribbons that show, however I knew and saw the improvement. He wasn't sucking back to jumps, he was getting his friskiness back and the willingness to jump. Not to mention his form is improving and he's carrying himself MUCH better!


We did not pursue Hamilton Hunt, it wasn't worth it nor was I financially able to do so. However, we schooled religiously at home and now are schooling 2'9" courses. It's fantastic, wonderful, and I'm so glad to have my horse back to normal. Ontop of things, my coach finally complimented me on my training skills so far with him. She was in a bind after her main schoolie was retired from. I let her use Symbah as he's basically a packer and his last rider absolutely loves him. I may end up with a part-boarder - who knows! I think I'm taking advantage here of having my horse worked a bit more consistently and ontop of it, the part-boarder gets 2 rides a week. One a lesson (with my coach) and another one on her own but without any jumping so I know my horse won't turn into a wreck!
I'm just so relieved to have my brave horse back, and now I'm looking forward to the Ancaster show this sunday! We'll be doing the 2'3" division, and if he's feeling good we'll hit up the 2'6-2'9" division! Fingers crossed we can finally redeem ourselves 100% and come home with some ribbons!
I'd say I'll update this blog - but don't believe me! ;)

No comments: