Friday, March 20, 2009

The show must go on!

So March 15th came. I made sure we had the trailer arrive earlier incase of mechanical issues.
None. It was a nice morning, clear, soothing.

We got everything ready and away we went. We arrived with ample time to get tacked up, warmed up and warm up over the jumps. Symbah didn't blink at any of them, and went through each line politely.

Again, I was feeling confident!

Flat class went well, and we ended up placing with a 4th. My coach seemed aggitated as one of the horses who placed above me had balked at the canter, and had even thrown a fit. But I wasn't worried, we had redeemed ourselves from last show. Atleast for the flat class.


Then came our first course. Our beginning circle wasn't too smooth (he has an anticipation issue and likes to..er, git 'er done) and I still have the bad habit of leaning forward too much. But we went through that course very smoothly. And received a 2nd place ribbon.


Our second course went nearly the same way. He got a bit stronger since some of the jumps were heading home, but the moment I asked him to come back.. he listened. So I definately couldn't complain. Main issue was our finishing circle, caught the wrong lead as well as became disunited between two jumps at one point. However, we placed 3rd.


Our final course was the Stakes class again. Overall our communication was good however, Symbah decided that if he landed on the wrong lead he'd simply break to a trot briefly then canter again. He caught me off guard twice, but I caught on and correct him afterwards. We did catch the rest of the leads but that breaking really hurt us. We placed 4th in that.


So overall we received a 4th, 2nd, 3rd and another 4th. One placing shy of Reserve champion again. That's okay though, we redeemed ourselves!


We have a show this weekend (dun dun duuuun!) at a different facility with scarier jumps. I work at this show series at the Blacks Equine Centre location so I'm familiar with their jump set-up and how they run the shows. However, they run it as a schooling show for Trillium/A circuit riders, so it'll be stiff competition.
Neither of us have been to this particular facility (they host them at two different ones, I only work at the Blacks one) so it'll be a new experience. And that's all I'm going there for!
So, stay tuned..
and fingers crossed I don't slack on updating this time!

No comments: